Monday, September 3, 2007

Is there a short cut to weight loss?


I just saw one of my teen patients today at the gym. He was telling me that his mom, dad, and good friend are doing the "Cookie Diet" now, "they are doing awesome on it, they lost ~20 pounds." "They eat 6 cookies to start their day and then have a protein and vegetables for dinner." NOW- C'MON. These are intelligent people, they really think this is the answer. Everyone who diets, wants a gimmick. They think the only way for them to get results is to have a gimmick to follow, and the only goal in their mind is to have a lower number show up on the scale. It doesn't matter if the number is reflecting muscle, organ tissue, water and some fat loss and that they won't follow it for life. They often say, I'll just do this diet for awhile to get a jump start, then I'll eat healthier and more balanced. Yeah, that's really gonna work. Nope. THE DEFINITION OF A DIET WORKING, IS THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO DO IT FOR LIFE. I hear it all the time, on the radio, from the people I talk to, "oh that diet worked great for me, I lost 20, 30, 40 etc. pounds, I gained half of it back when I got off of it, so I just have to go back on it, then I'll be fine."

This diet perspective that people have is warped. This mindset is way off. The real truth in regards to our weight and health, is giving our body respect, treat it with kindness. Listen to it, is it hungry, or is it just wanting to move, or is it wanting to dance, pray, sing, or talk. It's time for Americans to shape up with their mindset or ship out to their demise. Look at the stats, the obesity rate in the US is increasing in all states, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, AP, "released a report last year that found a nationwide obesity rate of 32%." Obesity costs $117 billion a year in preventable health care expenditures and "is pushing the health care system to the breaking point, according to Jim Marks, a senior vice president of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, a health care philanthropy group that sponsored the Trust for America's Health Study released in 2007. Mississippi ranked number one three years in a row as the fattest state in the country and Colorado is the leanest. For childhood obesity, DC is No. 1, with 22.8% of its children are overweight (great job our nation's capital) and Utah ranked last with 8.5%. What is it that they are doing differently in Colorado and Utah to be the leanest in our country? The study doesn't show that, but as a Registered Dietitian for over 13 years, I can logically deduce that in Colorado they have a beautiful environment that is conducive to exercising, when I went to a conference there, I saw everyone running around, hiking, biking, walking to go eat. The air there breathes health. And in Utah, they pray, a great way to nourish the soul and distract from the eating focus. To end, I pray that our society can focus on self-care and respect so that we set a good example for our kids, so that they can live longer than us, right now if things continue as is, they may die before us, G-d forbid.

Your Livitician, Deborah A. Klein, MS, RD

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greate pieces. Keep writing such kind of information on your page.
Im really impressed by your site.
Hello there, You've performed a fantastic job. I'll definitely digg it and personally suggest
to my friends. I'm confident they will be benefited from this site.

Feel free to surf to my web-site Home Staging Business

Anonymous said...

Having read this I thought it was very enlightening.

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to put this information together.
I once again find myself personally spending way too
much time both reading and commenting. But so what, it was still worthwhile!


Visit my weblog - Buy 1285 muscle

Anonymous said...

Hello! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers
and starting a new project in a community in the same niche.

Your blog provided us useful information to work on.
You have done a marvellous job!

Look into my site :: Buy Pure Raspberry ketone

Anonymous said...

With havin so much content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright violation?

My website has a lot of completely unique content I've either created myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my agreement. Do you know any ways to help protect against content from being ripped off? I'd genuinely
appreciate it.

Here is my web blog - swissroseblog.com

Anonymous said...

Hi there! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted
to give a quick shout out and say I genuinely
enjoy reading your articles. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that go
over the same subjects? Thanks a ton!

My blog: vimaxmaleenhancement.net

Anonymous said...

Very shortly this site will be famous among all blogging and site-building people, due to it's pleasant articles

Feel free to visit my site - Buy test force xtreme

Anonymous said...

I'm gone to convey my little brother, that he should also pay a visit this webpage on regular basis to get updated from latest reports.

Feel free to surf to my blog post Beta FOrce REview

Anonymous said...

When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get three
emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
Thanks a lot!

Also visit my web page - Idrotherapy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on best creatine. Regards

Here is my homepage: Swol Muscle Builder

Anonymous said...

This is a topic that's near to my heart... Cheers! Where are your contact details though?

Also visit my blog post power pump muscle builder

Anonymous said...

For the reason that the admin of this web page is working, no doubt very shortly
it will be well-known, due to its feature contents.

my web site :: Liposom reviews

Anonymous said...

I've learn some just right stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how a lot effort you put to create any such fantastic informative site.

Check out my web page :: Diet Patches

Anonymous said...

Good way of telling, and nice post to get information
concerning my presentation focus, which i am going to convey in university.


Also visit my blog post - Garcinia Cambogia Weight Loss

Anonymous said...

Hello mates, how is all, and what you wish for to say about this paragraph, in my view its really awesome for me.



Feel free to visit my web-site; Tru VIsage

Anonymous said...

smokeless cigarettes, smokeless cigarette, electronic cigarette, e cigarette, smokeless cigarettes, e cigarette reviews

Flat Belly Overnight Reviews said...

Flat Belly Overnight Reviews By Andrew Raposo is an outstanding tricks and tips to lose belly fat overnight.Flat Belly Overnight Program Reviews for who struggling with belly fat. Flat Belly Overnight system provide some trick to lose 2 pound belly fat by sleeping. Download here
Flat Belly Overnight Ebook
Flat Belly Overnight PDF
Flat Belly Overnight System
Flat Belly Overnight Review By Andrew Raposo
Flat Belly Overnight Program
Flat Belly Overnight Review
Flat Belly Overnight Detox Formula
Flat Belly Overnight by Andrew Raposo

Anonymous said...

I appreciate you and I would like to read your post. Is very Useful artical.
Thanks for sharing this useful information.Your site is very demand able.
visit for know batter Health Tips and doctor advice.Just Visit my website…
‪‪Health Care in the US‬‬
pediatric hospital
Health Tips